7 Ways to Reduce Plastic This Christmas
Christmas is such a wonderful time of the year and exchanging gifts between friends, families and strangers is a beautiful thing. However remember that buying gifts for others contributes to the ever growing plastic population on the earth. It was estimated that $400million was spent on unwanted Chrsitmas gifts last year which ended up as waste in landfill and that doesn't include the waste from plastic wrapping, tinsel and decorations.
Always be mindful when buying for others, think if you just buying a gift for someone because of the expectation of giving? Physical and novelty presents aren't the only way to share your appreciation for others.
Here are 7 tips to creating a more sustainable and eco-friendly Christmas this year:
- Give consumable gifts - bake treats and sweets! Best presents are ones you can eat and it shows you have gone to a lot of effort to cook for others.
- Gift travel money and plants
- DIY decorations from nature - you can create beautiful decorations that are plastic free from driftwood, shells, pine cones and rocks! Pinterest has amazing ideas for this. Check our board for ideas!
- Reuse your wrapping paper or wrap in old newspapers
- Know how to recycle your waste
- Use string instead of plastic tape - plastic tape sucks.
- Donate to a charity instead - My Mum and I do this! Our fav charities to donate to are:
Don't forget that the greatest gift you can give is your presence. Being around your people and spending time with them during Christmas is something that should be fully appreciated, take time to be present and share love, joy and grattitude (all of the above is 100% eco-friendly haha)
Cherry Mistmas, Bee x